Friday 17 May 2013


The other night Owen came into my room crying, he had a horrible dream about monsters and asked if he could crawl into bed with me.  I helped him up, tucked him in beside me and wrapped his blanket into his arms.

Now as I lay beside Owen he tells me about his dream and how scary it was. “That does sound like a scary dream” I tell him. As I hold his little hand I ask him if I can tell him a story before bed. I have found this helpful for the few times Owen has had woken up from a bad dream.

“There once was a boy named Owen, and his Mommy named Suzanne….” Owen starts to smile. Then as I tell the story, I let him tell the story too. I start off with Owen and his mommy decided to go to the animal farm, while they were there they saw….(Owen will fill in the blank) Then I will ask him what the cow said to him and what the ducks said to him. Then I will ask him what we ate for a snack while we were at the farm. This helps little ones focus their attention on to something else.

As I finish this story, I tell Owen I love him, and I kiss his forehead. Owen tells me he feels a little bit better, but he still is a little scared. “It’s ok to be scared, but I am here, and I’m beside you if you need me.” Owen sleeps with his little hand on my shoulder for the most part of the night. In the morning, he awakes happy and cheerful. :)

What helps with your children?  Email me here: tipsfromamomma@gmail.com

Have a wonderful weekend everyone! :)

0 comments:

 
blog design ©2013 smitten blog designs, all content ©2013 tips from a mama