Thursday 18 April 2013

Do you have a favorite book that you love to read to your child? My favorite children’s book is “I’ll Love You Forever” by Robert Munsch.
 My Mother read this story to me when I was younger and she would cry almost every time. I remember looking at her with raised eyebrows and a little smirk. “Mom, why do you always cry when we read this book?” I would ask. “Because I love you” she would reply.  I never truly understood how reading a story to your child could bring tears to your eyes so easily until Owen came along.
I remember vividly the day I went in for my first ultrasound with Owen.  I looked at my little baby, who at that time looked like a little bean. I instantly fell in love!  “That’s it my little bean, you have stolen my heart,” I thought to myself.  As he grew in my tummy I would read stories to him and “I’ll Love You Forever” was always my favorite. 
When Owen arrived on October 18th, 2009, it marked the greatest day of my life. When we arrived home and after we both had some rest, the first thing that I did was read him, “I’ll Love You Forever”; I cried the happiest tears that I had ever cried.
A few nights ago when Owen and I were choosing stories to read before bed, I chose to read him this story again. Owen has now heard this story many times and is now able to recite “I’ll love you forever; I’ll like you for always, as long as I’m living, my baby you’ll be.”  I held myself together until we reached the page where the son picks up his mother and rocks her back and forth.  Besides the obvious love this young man has for his mother, are the photos hanging in his mother’s room.  A picture of her little one in diapers smiling, as a teenager, and as a grownup. Tears start to fill my eyes.
I think it is because I imagine this little old lady with photo’s all over her walls of her son- so proud, he is everything to her,  that will no doubt be me.
Owen looks up at me with his beautiful blue eyes and a little smirk that I imagine was quite like mine looking up at my own mother. “Mom, why are you crying?” says Owen. As I wipe my tears I look at him and with the same reply my mother gave me. “Because I love you.

0 comments:

 
blog design ©2013 smitten blog designs, all content ©2013 tips from a mama