Friday 9 August 2013

A Work Of Heart


One morning I was browsing through Instagram while enjoying my morning coffee, when I came across a painting of a mother and baby giraffe. What caught my eye was this beautiful painting, but what attracted my full attention was that this painting along with many others were being sold by A Work Of Heart, a small online business that sells artwork and donates a portion to building projects in Kenya.
Immediately I contacted the founder Laura Armstrong and I asked if she would be able to create a superhero painting for Owen, she gladly agreed, and the picture below says a thousand words. Owen could not have been more excited to have received such an incredible piece, and he will grow to know and learn the importance of this artwork.

So impressed with Laura, and her team at A Work Of Heart, I asked her if she would send me a little background on herself and how A Work Of Heart came about, this is what she had to say.
        “If you were to ask me how I came up with the idea to start ‘A Work of Heart,’ I can pin point it back to two moments during a trip to Kenya, a few years ago.
 I was standing in a run down internet cafe, looking at a small selection of postcards for sale. The one that stood out was a Zebra standing in stream of water. I told my teammate I was going to paint it. My team mate who didn’t believe I knew how to paint, told me that if I did, he would buy it. I had never considered selling my paintings before. I painted as hobby.
 Later during my trip I met a little girl named Doris. She lived in the local slum I was working in. She wasn’t attending school, and getting herself in very grown up trouble. This was certainly going to lead to a bleak future for her. It was down right heart breaking to observe.
 When I sold my Zebra painting, I used the money to sponsor Doris for one year. Doris is now in boarding school, receiving three meals a day, a place to sleep at night, and achieving an education that can take her miles away from the drug filled streets of the slum she lived in.
 I loved how my art not only sold, but did something for someone.
 I wanted to do it again.
 I made a Facebook group showing pictures of my work. Anyone could send me a photo and I would turn into it a piece of art. I would then give a portion of my earnings to, Living Positive Kenya (the charity I volunteered with while in Kenya).
 Since then I have raised enough money to renovate the charities daycare and I am in the process of purchasing  1/8th of an acre of farmland.
 A Work Of Heart is about causing positive change from personal success. We all have the potential to be successful, and then use it to make a difference.
 I look at my paintings and don’t see just art, I see a charity being supported, I see Daycare’s being built, I see a little girl getting the chance to go to school.
 I see change.
 It’s not just a piece of art, it’s a work of heart.”

Teary-eyed after reading this, you can see the passion and compassion this young lady has. With the help from Tetley and One Method, Laura was able to take her organization to the next level. Shown here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBfBlKfjmLA)
This is only the beginning for Laura and A Work Of Heart. Thank you again for this incredible piece of work, we will cherish it always.
Please visit: www.aworkofheart.ca
Follow on Instagram @aworkofheart3
Or on Facebook www.facebook.com/aworkofheart3




0 comments:

 
blog design ©2013 smitten blog designs, all content ©2013 tips from a mama