Thursday 21 March 2013

Tips from a Mom

I remember looking at Owen when he first came into the world and thinking-- WOW you are the most beautiful baby I have ever laid eyes on, I love you, I would die for you. It is overwhelming, the love you can have for your baby.
I have had the joyous opportunity to have been at home with my son until he was about two years of age when he started daycare. Before daycare we had all the time in the world to enjoy every moment together. I was with him for his “firsts” smiling, eating, crawling, walking. I have been lucky, as I know not everyone has that luxury.
Here are some tips I would give to Mothers who are at home with their little ones: 
*Let go of the fact that your house may not be as spotless as you used to have it.
Before Owen came along, my cupboards were organized, the house was tidy. Owen was born, and at first it was a piece of cake, I would clean or cook while he was napping, it was a dream. Owen started crawling and soon his stuffed animals, blocks, balls, and books were everywhere and my house was torn upside down. Funny how someone so small can create such a huge mess! I found letting go of the feeling that I had to have  everything perfect helped. 
*Take time for your own shower, hair and makeup.
 I found we did not use the playpen much unless it was for this. I would set up the play pen in my room, put some toys in the play pen for Owen to play with and then quickly shower while talking to Owen through the curtain. It really did keep him occupied and, depending on how long he was amused by our chat and his toys,  I would be able to get my hair and make up done, too!
*Create a routine that works for you.
 This is not always easy, but if you have a good routine with your baby it will make your life and his/hers much easier. We would have our scheduled eating and nap times, dinner, bath and bedtime. At bedtime I would cuddle him and read with him, even when he was teeny tiny. We’ve always enjoyed that time together and having a routine made sure it happened.
*Let them get messy.
When Owen first started solids, I would have a spoon to feed Owen, and Owen would have a spoon to feed himself. Food would get in his hair, all over his face, clothes…. I, along with Owen, thought it was fun. If your baby gets a little messy, that’s what baths are for! I also found with Owen that, if he ate, then bathed, he would nap very well.  This rule also applies to when your little one starts discovering mud, puddles, grass, and the outdoors in general. Discovery is a way of learning- Let them enjoy it and you will too!
             *Fussy baby- Go for a walk!
I found this was a good for both of us. It got us out of the house, and into the fresh air! We would walk around the block and pop down to the park that is around the corner from us. This is also a great way to meet some other mothers in your area. One of my neighbors and I set out a time every other day to meet and walk with our little ones.  It was nice to have that adult interaction too.  You can only talk baby-talk so long…J
*Play dates
Organize play dates with other mothers and take turns as to where you have the play date. Put on some appetizers, take out some cookies and put on a pot of coffee. This is a great social time for you and the little ones.
Get a good sense of what is available to you for fun for you and your little one.  In London, there are lots of things for parents to do with their tots.  Here are some great options for you and yours:
-The Stoney Creek YMCA- great for learning to swim, they have Mommy and Tot programs and Owen has always enjoyed going to the Jungle Gym. http://ymcawo.ca/stoney-creek
-Chapters-I love to grab a coffee and watch Owen play with the other children. They have a fun, little kids area and we always end up leaving with a new book. www.chapters.indigo.ca
-The Public Library- Kids can borrow books, and their calendar shows a story time every week. http://www.londonpubliclibrary.ca/kids/programs
-The Little Gym- Great for a variety of ages and a ton of fun! www.thelittlegym.com/LondonON
- Adventure on Wonderland- Inexpensive fun! They have two play areas one for toddlers and the other for the older children. www.adventuresonwonderland.ca
-London Children’s museum- Owen and I will go here a few times a year. He absolutely loves this Museum!  I even find it hard to leave!  www.londonchildrensmuseum.ca
-Storybook Garden- Rides, games, treats, animal farm and a water park—there are lots of fun and educational things to do.  Make sure you pack extra clothes! J www.storybook.london.ca

1 comments:

 
blog design ©2013 smitten blog designs, all content ©2013 tips from a mama