Tuesday 3 March 2015

This post was written awhile back but I thought it might be useful to the new mamas out there. Make sure you take time for yourself to refresh and regroup, it is good for you and baby. Xo



Give yourself a break—even if it’s only for an hour or two, it will help you refocus and regroup!

When my son was a month old, I decided to take the afternoon to go shopping! My belly was pretty much back to where it was before the big event (thank you Mom for the great genes) and I was feeling the need to look as cute as my little guy when people came to visit.
For the first hour I walked around the mall aimlessly looking into different stores.  Instead of revelling in the freedom of walking without any responsibilities for a baby, diaper bag or stroller or the fun of trying on the fashion I had missed for nine months, all I could think of was my son. I rushed home, ran in the door, didn’t say “hi” to anyone, picked up my son and just held him, and cried. I couldn’t bear to be without him!
This did eventually pass….. Months would go by and I would peal myself away from him for a couple of hours to do something for myself. When my son got to be about 18 months of age,  this is where the “me times” started to happen--first once a month, then twice a month, then once every two weeks J. Even if it was just myself, a cart, and the grocery store, that one hour I spent doing something for myself, by myself, was time away that I needed .  My son is now 3 years of age and less dependent on me (and maybe I am less dependent on him, as well)  and I find that I need that “me” time less and less.
I know that might sound backwards, but from when my son was a newborn to about two years of age, I was constantly holding him. Constantly. I couldn’t bear to pass up on his upstretched arms and the “Hold you” he would offer me. Don’t get me wrong there were times it drove me CRAZY, especially when I had to vacuum or clean around the house. But I was first and foremost his Mother, and he needed me. Now that he is 3 yrs old, he is less dependent on me and less likely to offer me a “Hold you”.  I still crave being around my son but remind myself to take time for me.  After all, my son is learning to make time for himself, too.
So go clear your heads Momma’s! Catch up with friends and family! Do whatever makes you happy! Even taking an hour to go to the gym! Gym… Hmmm… Now that sounds like a good idea! I’m off! Happy Monday!:)

0 comments:

 
blog design ©2013 smitten blog designs, all content ©2013 tips from a mama